Monday, December 04, 2006

Good Day / Bad Day

This was one of those days at work that had it's ups and downs.

On the good side, I found out that my company has given me a commendation. These go to around 10 people per month, out of a workforce of around 10,000. This is the third time I've received one. Pretty cool. I assume they'll be mentioning this at my service anniversary dinner on Thursday.

On the down side, while checking my current vacation balance with the HR folks, I found out that I earned one week more of vacation this year than I had thought. (I thought the increased rate didn't kick in until next year.) Why is that bad? Because our vacation is use-or-lose every year, and my customer doesn't want me to take off 2 1/2 weeks in December. (I was planning to take 1 1/2 weeks anyway.)

So, unless the company gives special dispensation to allow this "commended" employee to roll it over into next year, I'm going to lose a week of sorely needed vacation.

Argh!

No comments: