Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My (Current) Nightmare

Seriously. I dream about this stuff.

The VDOT CIO has ordered we apply all required resources to get our roadway centerlines into tip-top shape for an application being developed for delivery in the spring. I could say "what do you think we been trying to do for the last 4 years?"

As probably the most experienced staff member in editing the centerlines, I got the charming task of fixing linear referencing system measures on US Highways. Meaning? Our records of how long the highway is between given intersections didn't seem to "add up" for some reason, throwing the whole system out of kilter by hundreds of miles.

So far, in 4 days, I've fixed about 30 miles of it. All of us, together, have until the end of January to finish the entire state. Cripe! I'm more afraid someone will want me to instruct others in how to do this. If so, I'll spend more time answering questions than actually working. This takes a lot of attention, as my office mates are noticing, and it can't be done by just anyone. It requires a real intuitive grasp of the relative geometry.

Let's take the simplest example. In the photo (click the photo to make it larger), the arrow points to where the road used to be before it got moved over to the right, aligning both of the secondary roads intersecting US-11, now at a single intersection. Thus, the measures between intersections didn't add up because one of the intersections no longer existed. So you add up both lengths, and apply it to the single section of road that does exist.

Like I said, this is the simplest case. Maybe I'll post one of the real spaghetti pieces later.

No comments: