Monday, May 07, 2007

Zero Tolerance for Drugs

Isn't this taking things just a little too far?

A Norfolk middle school student suspended over a tablet of Tylenol gets to go back to school, but has to attend drug and alcohol counseling.

13-year-old Gabriella Nieves has missed two days of class already over the tablet of Tylenol she says a classmate gave her for a headache. While she's eager to hit the books, she doesn't think she needs counseling.

“I think it's unfair that I have to go to a drug and alcohol counseling, even though it was over an aspirin. I mean, they're making it out like I brought a gun to school,” said Gabriella.

Gabriella is worried the drug program will mark her future with a giant red flag.

“When they look at my record, when I try to apply for college and they see that I went to drug and alcohol counseling, a drug offense in middle school, they're going to reject me,” she said.

“She's not going to no drug and alcohol program,” remarked Gabriella’s mother, Dawn.

Her mother wants Gabriella to have a talk about drugs and alcohol with their family doctor, and not a juvenile delinquent counselor. She feels Northside Middle School administrators are making an example out of her daughter for no good reason.

“It wasn't a narcotic. It was not a joint. It was not a little small bottle of alcohol. This was an aspirin for a headache,” said Settles.

On Monday, May 7th, Gabriella and her mother will find out if she will be able to get counseling from her doctor. Either way, Gabriella, who's an eighth grader, won't be going to high school in Norfolk next year. She and her family are moving to Hampton.


Folks, there's a reason these are called 'over the counter" drugs. Our society and government have determined that they are so safe and so benign that anyone can and should be able to purchase them. The stupid DARE programs in school weren't really supposed to be about imposing totalitarian rules were they? But,then, what do I know? I'm on drugs.

Update: But at least I managed to parlay this into a 'hat tip' on Best of the Web.

Update 2: A radio interview with the mom is posted here.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh gee, I love stupid rules made my morons who have never say experienced the joy of monthly menstral cramps that make you want to barf.

DARE taught me that the cops kept the good stuff back at the department.