Thursday, November 22, 2007

DWB

From Chicago -
U.S. Rep. Danny Davis (D-7th District) said Wednesday he was the victim of racial profiling.
Oh?
The congressman said he was driving three friends home early Monday morning when two white Chicago police officers pulled him over and said he had swerved over the center line before making a left turn from Kedzie onto Douglas Boulevard.
May I translate? - "Sir, I have observed you driving erratically (down the wrong side of the road), tonight at a time (midnight? 2am?) when we find many drivers have been drinking. Have you had anything to drink tonight?"
"There was just no reason I could conjure up other than the fact that there were four black people in a car," he said.
Congressman, it was the wee hours of the morning. How did they know what color you were before pulling you over? And, again, they are looking for drunks. You prefer they wait until drunks hit something, or is driving on the wrong side of the center stripe enough to pull someone over and check it out? Also, we all know that white people find four old black people in a car suspicious, right?
He intends to fight the ticket he says was "simply wrong."
Translation - "I deny I was driving erratically, and even if I was, I'm black, I'm a Congressman, and I have certain rights you don't."
Davis is calling on city leaders to "bridge the gap" between police and the minority community.
Translation - "Fix this ticket, and we'll say no more about it."

No comments: