Sunday, July 09, 2006

Cartography

This pretty cool. While cartography is not precisely what I do for a living, it certainly is related to the GIS work that I do.

My work is, in theory, more about software development process, requirements, testing, and Zzzzzzz. In actuality, I really enjoy the time I find to create and relate GIS data sets, however obscure. I did several unauthorized ones for my VDOT employers, starting out on them over my lunch time. They liked them. I finished them. They published them. Now, they make up at least half the data layers you would see on the mapping application that the public accesses - The Online Transportation Information Map.

I created all the little fiddly bits like the layers for the train stations and airports, and such. What I think is particularly fun with these layers is that I hyperlinked a lot of them. If you activate the lightning bolt tool for any layer that you are displaying that shows a bolt next to the layer name, then when you click on the symbol on the map it opens a new window linked to that site. In other words, if you display airports, and then click on the website for Dulles in D.C., then the official Dulles website comes up.

No comments: