Monday, October 23, 2006

Not the Best Day

So, I wake up an hour late. Fortunately, I made up a lot of the time, and only got on the road a half hour late. The delay turns out to be fortunate for me, because I get five miles from home, and blow out a tire. The one day I might actually use my new cell phone, I've forgotten it at home, on my desk.

I get out my shiny new jack, read the instructions, and get out my itty-bitty spare tire. I'm wearing pretty decent clothes for work, and don't want to get them dirty or torn kneeling down, so I squat down to loosen the lug nuts. At this point there is a ripppppp as my boxers cut loose.

I get the tire replaced, and head back the other way to find a tire dealer. These are factory original, and have 81,000 miles on them, so I'm not surprised that it's time to change them just not like this. I get to the tire dealer 10 minutes after they open.

I'm at the tire store an hour. The guy tells me my car is just about ready. Minutes go by. Then he tells me there is a small snafu. The tires have a "forward" direction, and the installer has done them all the same way, so two are pointing backwards. So, he has to take two of them back off the rims, put them back on, and rebalance them. So, I'm at the tire store for more like an hour and 45 minutes.

I finally got to work 2 1/2 hours late. About the only good I can see, is at least I didn't blow that tire out at 70+ mph on I-64. Sigh!

No comments: