Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Further Ernesto Update

We got power back at 10:30 Tuesday morning. So, our power was out for about 4 days. The repairman said he came by to try to fix it at 1am Sunday morning, but couldn't see the problem in the dark, which was a severed return ("neutral") line.

He claimed that they had reduced the level on the line to half normal, so motors and things should have been running real slow before the outage. That wasn't our experience. Based on how the ceiling fan and A/C motors sped up, things fried out, etc. I suspect the wiring in this old house managed to give us a full 220 volts before stuff started croaking.

The final toll was (at least what we've found so far) -
  • Two fried out compact flourescent lights
  • Five over-surged surge-protectors
  • The controller board in the range, killing the oven and electronic controls
  • The power supply in my computer (yes, this one which I just got repaired a couple hours ago.)
So, I've spent part of the evening backing up things like crazy. The thought of losing all of that genealogy...

Well, I want to get back to my story of the Siege of Yorktown ASAP, since yesterday was the anniversary of the Battle of the Capes. I just want to leave you with this photo, taken down at the end of our street about an hour after the height of the storm.

No comments: